10 Tips to Start the Year Off Right
Another year has come and gone. As an entrepreneur, it can feel like the time goes by even quicker than it would otherwise. That's why we believe it's important to start the new year off with a list of SMART goals - or more appropriately for this time of year, SMART resolutions.
What is a SMART goal?
A SMART goal is a statement created by you, that will help you accomplish your entrepreneurship or business goals.
What does SMART stand for?
SMART stands for:
Where to Start
- S - specific;
- M - measurable;
- A - achievable;
- R - relevant;
- T - time-bound
Setting realistic goals and benchmarks as an entrepreneur is imperative, but if you haven't used the SMART method before, you may not know where to start. Let's walk through the steps of how to get started. First, you'll want to decide on the goal(s) you want to accomplish and from there, fine-tune it to ensure it meets all of the requirements.
- Specific: Is your objective specific? This is essentially your goal's mission statement. Consider what it is that you want to accomplish, who on your team needs to be involved in the process, why you feel this goal is important to achieve and when you want to have it achieved by.
- Measurable: Can you measure progress towards your goal? Setting some milestones to ensure the plan is in motion, and is working, is crucial to your success. So, what metrics are you going to use to measure your progress along the way?
- Achievable: Is the goal you set realistic? Do you have all of the tools and skills needed to attain your goal? Does your team have the right attitude and mindset? If you answered 'no' to either of those questions, you may need to consider doing some on-the-job training to get everyone involved on track, including yourself.
- Relevant: How relevant is the goal to your business? Does it fit it with your company's mission, or future 5- or 10-year goals? Ensuring it makes sense for you and your team is important.
- Time-Bound: What kind of timeline are you going to put in place? What is the time for achieving this goal? When do you realistically plan on achieving your goal? Providing a target date will help you and your team stay on track.
Setting new year's resolutions can help motivate your team throughout the year. Call a meeting, be prepared to ask a lot of questions of your staff, and encourage them to do the same. Fine-tuning your strategy for the year ahead will set you on track for another successful and rewarding year.
Whether you're an entrepreneur looking for an affordable investment, an existing business owner looking to diversify, or simply eager to become your own boss, Weed Man can help you achieve your career aspirations. We've got the systems, training, and years of expertise needed to set you up for success. Why wait? Request a consultation
and/or download our free brochure